Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Korean War Memorial and Museum

It was kind of weird meeting up with an old high school friend in Seoul today, but that is what happened.  He is currently living in the Philippines and came to Seoul for a business trip.  So we were able to meet up and, after a typical Korean lunch, went to the Korean War Memorial and Museum.  It was a pretty amazing place.  I found there a dichotomy of emotion.  I was sad to see the sacrifice of lives laid down by the Korean people and the division that came between them.  However, I was very proud of my country which sacrificed over 33,000 lives for the sake of the Korean people and freedom.  It was incredible to see a monument in a foreign land honoring the men and women of the US armed forces who gave their lives in defense of people who lived on the other side of the world.  May we never forget them.

Monument depicting the separation of families between north and south In honor of all those who lost their lives during the Korean War Names of US soldiers who lost their lives in the war On a lighter note, the world's largest bottle rocket

3 comments:

ShortStuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShortStuff said...

The memorial looks amazing in the pictures, I'll bet it's even more amazing when you're actually there! I didn't know so many Americans died for Korea.

Daughter of Eve said...

That memorial looks really cool! Wow, that's a lot of soldiers.

~Queen Lucy~